- Start off by thanking your father-in-law for his speech
- Give a story about your wife.
- Thank your wife-to-be for marrying you
- Keep it fairly short and succinct
- Propose a toast to your wife
- Don’t say anything that may embarrass the bride, yourself, and everyone else.
- Don’t beat around the bush and talk in a roundabout manner – everyone may be bored and it will get tiresome!
- Don’t chew gum.
- Speak with genuine emotion and don’t sound fake. Don’t drone or talk in a monotone voice.
- Make sure you thank the bride’s parents.
- Don’t worry about it too much- the big part will be over and you really only have to thank people.
- Don’t worry too much about hilarious anecdotes and being overly witty. That’s what the best man’s speech is there for!
I’m here today to marry the most amazing girl I have ever met. She is my best friend, my lover, and soon will be my wife. Although I have had many doubts in my life, I have never once worried about my relationship with (Bride). She has been such an influence on my life that I could not for a second imagine being with someone else. For this reason, I am so excited to finally be married. My buddies have always joked that I would never find someone who would put up with me, but now I can finally prove them wrong!
(Bride), you have been the only person in my life that has never left my side. I can count on you for anything, regardless of where you are or what you are doing. To know that there is someone out there who will do anything for you is the greatest feeling in the world. I never feel alone because I have someone who is ready to hold me up and support me in whatever I decide to do. I have never been so sure that you are the one for me.
Six years ago today we met on a cruise. I went with my college buddies, and we definitely only had one thing in mind: partying and laying in the sun. When I met you the first night, I was shocked how well we hit it off. Of course my friends gave me a hard time because I was already finding a woman for the trip, but it was different than that. You were not like any other girl I had ever met, and that was a good thing. While most of my friends were just looking for a hookup, I was constantly looking for a woman who was sweet, intelligent, and still supportive. I had difficulty finding anyone close to those qualities, so to come across someone so randomly was a shock. From then on, we were inseparable. Every day we sat on the beach, gazed at the stars at dusk, and told each other every secret we could think of. It was the best trip I had in my entire life.
After that trip, I knew that you would have a permanent spot in my life. It didn’t matter that I had only known you for two weeks. You felt like my significant other, and you treated me as if I was. It was such a blessing to find someone so real and ready to grab life by the neck. You pushed me into gear and I finally was able to do something with my life. Although people assumed that things would end shortly due to the way we met, we proved them wrong. Now today, as I get ready to marry you, I still have no fear. I know in my heart that you will love me forever and I will try and be the best husband I can to you.
Thank you for the past six years. They were amazing and I know the rest of our lives will be even better. It’s funny to think that we are celebrating on the exact day we met. To me, that is a sign of fate.
I love you (Bride)!